- Ahead of her time
- Exemplified what it meant to be a strong woman
- Loved her grandkids dearly
- Advice giver...whether you wanted it or not ;) (Including my favorite...how to pick up men!)
- Horned Frog
- Talker and story teller
- From that generation of church ladies that we all looked to for wisdom and guidance
- Nurse and teacher
- Grandmother and Great-Grandmother
...and many more roles
Honey~I am so grateful for the special bond I had with you. I will cherish my memories playing at "Granddaddy and Honey's house", going to the "Brown Cafeteria," and, then later in life, our Friday lunches. I got so many things from you, including my lack of grace and stubborness, and I hope I got some of your sass. I know you are having a party right now with Grandad and Linda and all the family. I will miss our meals and chats and your constant support.
Friday, December 03, 2010
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Friday, September 17, 2010
Here is the annual survey I give my students at the beginning of the year. I switched to 4th grade this year so I'm not sure the answers are quite as funny as usual but we'll give it go...
Q: What interesting places have you visited?
- My attic
Q: What are some places you would like to visit?
- TCU (I haven’t brainwashed them AT ALL)
Q: What are some things about which you would like to know more?
- How to write with your left hand
- Wars that made history (I'm thinking most wars made history.)
- I want to learn the Inglish and esocial studies.
- How do astronauts eat
Q: If you were given $1000, what would you do with it?
- Buy a bed, extra large
- I would buy all the silly bands in the world!
Q: If you could be a famous person, who would you be? Why?
- Lady Gaga, because I like how HE looks
- Davy Crocket (glad to see he's still getting his 10 minutes of fame)
- I like to give flowers to my girlfriend. (what?)
- Hanna Montana because she is a good person.
Q: Do you like music? What kind?
- Adam Lambert (I just didn't realize he was popular with the kiddos)
- Spanish, God, and Hanna Montana (in that order)
So far, I’m really enjoying my 4th graders…we’ll see if I’m singing a different tune when TAKS testing roles around.
I think coonskin caps are making a comeback.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Monday, July 26, 2010
My cousins and I on the Nichols side have always been extremely close. Despite our differences in age we all have always gotten along well...and that bond has really only grown as we've become adults. Sadly though, they all live in California...but that does give me a great excuse to visit often! I was going through some old photos and there were so many of us I decided to do this blog. I just came back from, yet another, great trip to California also, where I got to hang out with most all of them. D and Min, we missed you! It has been awesome over the years to see , as some of us add significant others to the mix, how well they fit right in and are fabulous additions to our crew. I am so blessed by these relationships and don't know where I would be without them. Love ya'll!
Below are the "stairstep" picture we love to take whenever we are together. I could easily have spent hours trying to pick between the hundreds of pictures we have taken over the years but decided to stick with these...other than the last picture that was taken at Adam & Dani's wedding.
Brent, Dimitri, Jill, Adam, and I
2009 -- With Honey and the wonderful additions of Min, Dani, and Kim
Tuesday, July 06, 2010
Last, we went to Diego's Grandpa's ranch for the Romero Family Reunion they have every 4th of July. It was so much fun. There were 10 brothers and sisters in his mom's family so its a ton of people. Everybody camps out and we ate yummy New Mexico style home cooking and talked and sang by the campfire. Such a fun family!
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
School's Out! Okay so its been out for a few weeks but...Yay! Its summer!! There are so many things that I love about summertime (the 100 degree heat is not one of them) but here are some of the things I'm looking forward to; some are ongoing and some are things I can check off the summer to do list.
Monday, May 10, 2010
Its been a while since I posted some pictures...here's a few of what's been going on in 2010. I've been really bad this year about taking pictures (what's wrong with me?!) so hopefully I will do better the rest of the year...
Monday, April 26, 2010
Gave the best hugs.
Had an infectious, wonderful laugh.
The best host.
Follower of Jesus.
Was like a 2nd mom to me so many times throughout my life -- Jill and I often said our moms must have gone to "mom school" because they know everything.
Approached everything with dedication and commitment
Mother, wife, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, and perhaps her most favorite role...grandmother.
Now she is dancing in heaven with Granddaddy.
Thank you for everything you taught me and everything you have given to this family. I will miss you terribly, Linda, but will see you again. Love you!!
Friday, April 23, 2010
2. Date night -- although the movie Date Night on our date night was a disappoint for me
3. Happy Hours with Carrie
4. Race for the Cure - its just always such an uplifting event
5. New dishes from Mom
Monday, April 12, 2010
1. Diego passed his first test for teaching!!
2. Easter fun (and, of course, money hunt) at Dad and Katie's
3. Main Street Arts Festival with Alison, Tori, and adorable baby Sami (who let me hold her alot...I was in heaven)
4. Evaluation is over and went well
5. Fun sushi night with Diego, Carrie, and Lee
I know my blog is kind of boring now...I'll try to spice it up with some pictures soon.
Friday, March 19, 2010
1. St. Patty's Day Mavericks game with Diego
2. Getting two outs at our first softball game (a VAST improvement for me from last year)
3. Cleaning out the closets (although I hate cleaning it felt good to get done)
4. Time outside in the pretty weather in the park, running and playing catch with D
5. March Madness!
Monday, March 15, 2010
1. SPRING BREAK!!!
2. The prettiness of the Bradford Pear Trees blooming
3. My favorite new Pilates class
4. Having a job (I have to remind myself when the days are tough that I am truly blessed to have a job...and a job where I get sweet hugs from kids everyday)
5. Sit-outside-Starbucks-with-a-good-book weather
Sunday, March 07, 2010
1. Just because tulips from Diego
2. Seeing sweet baby Lily this weekend
3. Celebrating Mom's birthday -- she deserves to be celebrated so much! Love you!
4. Happy Hour with girlfriends
5. Awesomely supportive family, friends, and boyfriend during a rough time at work
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
I had my students write about what love means to them for Valentine's Day. I thought some of these were too cute/funny not to share. Although all of these are good (and I had many more but decided it would be too long)...the first couple are my favorites.
I think love is an expression of care. Like if Mark had a girlfriend Mark would love her. And Mark will care for her. If she’s sick Mark will fix her some soup. And let her rest in the bed. And if she’s better Mark will take her on a date. (Note that the student's name is not Mark, he just made up a random person...haha)
Love is you like somebody for how they are and love is that you never forget them. Like your married that’s like love. Love means that you want somebody to stay with you forever. (awww...)
I think it means being friendly to people. And if you don’t notice them then still be nice to them. Treat them how you want to be treated. And you can tell them what’s wrong or good. You can buy them something nice. Or you can be nice to animals. And school property. And house property and your own stuff. And the property that is not your stuff. If it is not your stuff. Let the person do it not you.
Love comes from your heart. Love is the way you feel about someone. Love is a kind thing that comes when you care for someone. Love is opposite of hate. God cares for us. He takes care of us so that means that he loves us.
Love is like you care for people and they care for you. Like your mom cares for you and also your dad cares for you. Love is family and friends and people who love you. Valentine’s Day is part of love also. Valentine’s day is celebrating love.
Love is if you want to tell somebody that you love them. What’s wrong or what’s right. Let the person decide. You can give them flowers or chocolate hearts. And give them cards. They are brave, funny, sweet, nice, cute, loving. And give them a cupcake. (Cupcakes...a girl after my own heart.)
What I think is love is being around my family. And having fun. And being loved by my family. And I am lucky to have a wonderful mother. And what else I think of love is being nice to people. And being nice to my family.
Kindness and treating persons like you want to be treated. Be nice to each other. Give cards with nice notes. Help others. And kisses and hugs. Cheap candy. Play games. Give pictures of hearts. And we could be happy or good at games. We love each other.
Tuesday, February 09, 2010
1. The Holy Spirit (not so much a small thing though as the title implies)
2. LOST is back
3. apple jacks
4. learning Spanish
5. cutsy Valentine's things (not so much the romantic things but more the fun stuff for my girlfriends and students)
Friday, January 29, 2010
1. Rodeo! Diego and I went on Wednesday...a year just isn't complete without a rodeo visit.
2. Trying new cooking experiments (I tried polenta and a fritatta this week...not at the same time.)
3. The honesty of my small group ladies
4. Finally finishing The Shack (I really need to get back in the hang of this reading thing)
5. The Biggest Loser contest at my school...its a good way to get motivated again
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Its been awhile...
1. Fun birthday celebrations for Diego
2. No school tomorrow
3. My new peppermints from Diego (its the little things)
4. Jersey Shore (I realize this is horribly trashy but its so entertaining.)
5. A fun Austin New Year's (pictures coming soon)