Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Sunday, December 20, 2009
1. Going to my first Mavs game with awesome seats and that they beat the Cavaliers
2. Wrapping presents with Mom and her incredible bow making skills
3. Presents under the tree
4. Date night to Randy Rogers with Diego
5. Winter break!!!
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Most of my California family got to come to Texas for Thanksgiving. Yay! My brother, Adam, sister-in-law, Dani, cousins, Jill, Brent, Kim, and Asher, Aunt Linda, and Uncle Ted were here. I just love it when we all get to be together. We tell old stories, play games, eat delicious food, create new jokes that we replay over and over, and, of course, laugh constantly. This time there was even more to smile about because of sweet baby Asher.
The usual things that occur when Adam and Brent get together
Thursday, December 03, 2009
1. Putting up my Christmas tree
2. Discovering a new favorite show this season -- The Biggest Loser
3. TCU being undefeated!
4. Soup weather
5. Diego's laugh
Hopefully Thanksgiving pictures up soon!
Thursday, November 26, 2009
I figured I should do a gratitude blog on Thanksgiving...
1. So much of my family here for the holiday
2. Delicious Food
3. Sweet Baby Asher
4. Almost being done with Christmas shopping
5. How much my family laughs when we are together
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
1. TCU smashing Utah
2. My California family coming for Thanksgiving
3. Cool weather to run outside in
4. God's unconditional love
5. My friend Alison who will always listen, I can talk to about anything and who knows me better than most
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
In case you have been living under a rock and haven't heard...#4 in the nation!!!
Friday, November 06, 2009
1. Spaghetti squash
2. Paul Eason and other new music from Clay
3. Sending out our Tacky Christmas invite (6th annual)
4. Running outside again
5. Halloween fun
Sunday, November 01, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
1. Going to my first ever Cowboys game with Diego
2. Enjoying The Office with friends
3. Luby's with mom
4. My cough/cold finally going away I think (hope I didn't jinx myself)
5. Frogs awesome win against BYU!
Friday, October 16, 2009
1. Loving my new small group
2. My good friend Kacy getting married...so excited for her! And having fun at the wedding in OKC with Mom and Diego
4. Cooking for the boys
5. My new chalkboard wall decor in my apt. I get to change them all the time...which works well for my constant desire to change my decor for the season or moment in my life.
Thursday, October 08, 2009
It has been a bit of a rough week at school so I decided to cheer myself up I'd find some inspiring quotes. I truly do love my job...its just all the "other" factors that make it so hard sometimes....so I thought I should try to remind myself why I do what I do. These are mainly about education so most of you may not care but it was just more for me... but in case you do...
"What I do and say are being absorbed by young minds who will echo these images across the ages. My lessons will be immortal, affecting people yet unborn, people I will never see or know. The future of the world is in my classroom today, a future with the potential for good or bad. The pliable minds of tomorrow's leaders will be molded either artistically or grotesquely by what I do. Thank God I have a calling to the greatest profession of all! I must be vigilant every day lest I lose one fragile opportunity to improve tomorrow." -Ivan Welton Fitzwater
"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."
It is the responsibility of every adult... to make sure that children hear what we have learned from the lessons of life and to hear over and over that we love them and that they are not alone-- Marian Wright Edelman
"Being a teacher is like being a parent: once you are one, you can never, ever walk away from the job."
"Having a good outside-school support system may be the one thing that keeps you sane this semester." (Thank you to my wonderful family and friends!)"Have you ever considered how fortunate you are to have a job worth denying yourself sleep over?"
"Teaching is a profession dealing with unmeasurable results conducted through invisible processes with an inconclusive audience. In short, an act of faith."
"It is more difficult to dislike a teacher or student with whom you have broken cupcakes."
"If people grew up with LP records, and learned to listen to the songs they liked as well as the songs they didn't, they might be more accepting of less-than-ideal life situations than people who grew up selecting only their favorite songs for downloading to an iPod, and believing they could complete only their favorite assignments."
The kids in our classroom are infinitely more significant than the subject matter we teach.-- Meladee McCarty
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have.-- Lee Iacocca
It must be remembered that the purpose of education is not to fill the minds of students with facts... it is to teach them to think, if that is possible, and always to think for themselves.-- Robert Hutchins
Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. 1 Chronicles 16:11
Note: I don't think I'm so great or anything because I'm a teacher nor do I think I'm anywhere close to being the best teacher there is...these quotes were just for motivation for me not so everybody can praise me or anything for being a teacher.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Every year at the beginning of the school year my students do a student interest inventory so that I can get to know them and to give them some ideas for writing topics. I always find some of their answers quite funny...enjoy...
Q: What are some places you would like to visit?
A: Bamboo Garden
A: California to see the president's house
Q: What kind of music do you like?
Q: Who is your favorite celebrity?
A: Michael Jackson (pretty much every student's answer to this question)
Q: If you could be a famous person, who would you be? Why?
A: Michael Jackson (also most kid's answer)
A: The president so I could give papers to the people who don't have them...like my mom.
Q: What do you do at home in your free time?
A: Play zombies outside of my house
Q: What do you like to do in your spare time?
A: Pick up my phone
Q: Set a goal for yourself for the upcoming school year.
A: I want to read fart.
Q: If you were given $1000, what would you do with it?
A: Buy a limo with a hot tub
Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Getting my room number and key.
Q: What are some things you know alot about?
A: Freeze tag
Q: What is something you would like to know more about?
A: Hide and Seek
(I just thought it was funny that those last 2 were the same student.)
Thursday, September 24, 2009
1. Girls Night at Nona Tata with Carrie & Lauren
2. Central Market and The Office with Erin
3. Drive Thur
4. Discovering that I can do Step class...and that I enjoy it
5. Clay-Ashley time
Thursday, September 17, 2009
1. "Just because" flowers from Diego
2. Waiver Day tomorrow
3. Converting yet another to the deliciousness of iced coffee
4. Top Chef
5. Cooking for friends
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
2. My cute strawberry rainboats
3. TCU Football starting (and watching the game this weekend with Dad and Katie)
4. Rediscovering the joy of coloring books
5. New decorations up in my apt.
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
1. Lots of pool time for Labor Day weekend
2. Pickin' for Premmies concert with Mom and Becca
3. Worship singing at CCBC
4. A clean car
5. sharpies...in lots of colors
Friday, September 04, 2009
1. Awesome swimming pool at my new apartment
2. My new promethean board at school (it is so cool and the kids actually pay attention whenever I'm using it!)
3. Having a Starbucks so close to my new place and on the way to school. (Although this is probably going to be a problem for my budget.)
4. Teacher friends who know what its like
5. Time with Honey
Sunday, August 30, 2009
1. A night of dancing to awesome 80s music with friends
2. A surprise starbucks trip with Diego
3. Babies to play with
4. Cooler weather
5. 1 week of school done
Thursday, August 27, 2009
1. Adorable new kiddos in my class
2. Having an amazing travel-filled summer
3. Finally getting settled in my new place
4. Cooking (and people liking the food I cooked)
5. New pictures framed and up around the apartment
Sunday, August 16, 2009
My other big trips of the summer were 2 trips to New Mexico. The first trip was a birthday present from Diego to me. We spent about a week hanging out with his family and had a wonderfully relaxing time. It was a busy week for us as Diego's mom's birthday is July 9, mine is July 10, and his sister's is July 11. Crazy right? Among other fun events of the week, Diego treated us all to a trip to the Ojo Caliente...a fabulous hot springs spa. Then, a few weeks later we went back to New Mexico for one of his cousin's weddings. It was beautiful and we had so much fun two-stepping and dancing all night.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
This summer has been crazy busy. I have literally been home about 10 days this entire summer. I'm not complaining though...I have been blessed to take some amazing trips this summer. One of those trips was to see some of my favorite family out in sunny California.