"You are meant to grace the world with your dance, to follow the lead of Jesus wherever he leads you." - Captivating

Aside from Jesus, "...traveling is the great true love of my life...I am loyal and constant in my love for travel...I just don't care what it puts me through. Because I adore it. Because its mine. Because it looks like me." - Eat.Pray.Love.

Here you will find my travels, not just physical travels but emotional and spiritual as well...journeys to different places in the world and journeys of the heart. And, of course, fun and silliness too :)

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Real friends will share even a strawberry. (Slovakian proverb)

"Right from the start you had a way of making me laugh. The more we talked, the more I knew you'd become one of my favorite people...and that's what happened."


Carrie (my roommate) and I were dancing around our apartment the other day... We realized (and have had several conversations lately) that we really need to enjoy this time in our lives. Too often I get caught up in wanting to get married and have a family (especially as more and more friends get married). However, God is teaching me to savor this special time in my life. I don't have the responsibilities that a marriage and family inevitably bring and can instead freely just enjoy time with friends. I am so thankful for the wonderful friends God has placed in my life at this time. I can also travel more, read more for myself, and use this time to personally grow in my relationship with Christ. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I will be thrilled when God decides to place that man in my life but until then, I'm learning not to miss this time.


In honor of this revelation I had been planning to do a couple posts about my friends. This one is going to be about what I'm thankful for in my girlfriends and then next I am going to do one about my guyfriends. Coincidentally,
Dani did a similar post about girlfriends but I decided to go ahead and do mine anyway...I guess great minds think alike :) In Captivating, (told you I loved it) the authors talk about how women are extremely relational which causes Satan to go after our relationships...hit us where it hurts the most. They discuss how our friendships (especially with women) can so often feel opposed...and they do! We can be so catty with each other sometimes so I wanted to recognize what I am thankful for in my friends as I try daily to focus on all the positives in my relationships rather than the negatives. So here goes...

Why my girlfriends are great: (although some of these may apply to specific people, I just made this a general list)...you know who you are...


  • they will exhaustingly overanalyze the situation with me again and again
  • then after the overanalyzation will gently remind me that God is in control

  • inventing secret codes together

  • along with the secret codes is understanding each other without any words

  • we watch the same tv shows

  • someone to have a post-event eval with (or high five)

  • not having to say "fine" when they ask how I am

  • someone to split food with at restaurants

  • dance parties

  • sending and receiving cards to and from them

  • laughing together (especially when no one else is laughing)

  • understanding the importance of sprinkles

  • "we just had a whole conversation about doughnuts"

  • surrogate families

  • having a wingman

  • coffee talk

  • that one of them is my mom

  • sharing recipes

  • someone to stick to and cheat on diets with

  • loving me despite the painted purple sweatsuit incident

  • perfect traveling companions

  • shopping

  • someone to review your outfit choices

  • small group Bible talks and life talks

  • someone to do workout videos with ("Peppaseed, Peppaseed" and "Sexy eyes")
  • future bridesmaids

  • someone to plan events and social outings with

  • understand the importance of the RSVP even it is to a text or evite

  • knows the names of my extended family and asks about them once in a while
  • sick days
  • neck therapy
  • they challenge me politically, mentally, and spiritually
  • we (usually) know what its okay to tease each other about and what its not

  • they "get" me

Ladies, thank you so much for your friendships...you truly mean so much to me and make my life so much more joyful.

"A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere, before whom I may think out loud." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S. Lewis

"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is a spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next up...guys...guys that are friends....guy friends.

1 comments:

Carrie said...

Love the post! Looking forward to more great memories...and dance parties...and sexy eyes...etc. etc.