"You are meant to grace the world with your dance, to follow the lead of Jesus wherever he leads you." - Captivating

Aside from Jesus, "...traveling is the great true love of my life...I am loyal and constant in my love for travel...I just don't care what it puts me through. Because I adore it. Because its mine. Because it looks like me." - Eat.Pray.Love.

Here you will find my travels, not just physical travels but emotional and spiritual as well...journeys to different places in the world and journeys of the heart. And, of course, fun and silliness too :)

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Prague

Molly and I went on another European excursion this weekend to Prague. It was such a cute city and really was as great as everyone says it is.

We took an overnight train for the first time on the way there which was an interesting experience and slightly scary. The best part was sharing the car with a Spanish couple who apparently were in a little fight and the girl was crying for the half the ride. Thank goodness they got off in Bratislava so we had the cabin to ourselves the majority of the way. Our train got into Prague at 6 am so we really got to see the city wake up!

Prague is a really compact city so we were able to walk all around the citycenter the two days we were there. It is all cobblestone streets which is as cute as can be but is not great on the feet after long days of walking.We went to all the parts of the city center: Old Town, New Town, JewishQuarter, Castle & Hradcany, and Little Quarter. We saw Old Town Square with the Old Town Hall that has an astronomical clock on it. Every hour apostle figures appear in the clock windows as the clock chimes. It is cool and it so funny to see the crowd gather every hour to watch it. We walked across Charles Bridge several times, which is always (even in the cold of February) lined with artists and musicians. We went up to the castle area twice and when I say up, I mean UP -- a long,steep cobble stoned road...and yes we were brilliant and did it twice. There was probably a tram to go up but we apparently preferred walking. We took a tour of the castle area and saw the Royal Palace, St. Vitus' Cathedral, Powder Tower, and Golden Lane. Construction began on St. Vitus' Cathedral 800 years ago and wasn't completed until 1925. It is an enormous cathedral. The Royal Palace was very medieval inside and unlike any palace we had seen so far.

Again, we saw several churches which were gorgeous. Its amazing how different the interiors of all these churches have been from each other. We saw Wenceslas Square, the National Museum, and the National Theater. We also had the great idea of going to the Jewish quarter on a Saturday. Yes, on their holy day. Yes, everything was closed to the public. But the buildings and Old Jewish Cemetery were great from the outside!

First night in Prague and where did we go to dinner? A mexican food restaurant! We have been craving Mexican for so long. It actually was good too. The fajitas were great. The main difference was that you do not get unlimited chips and salsa for free because nothing is free here and the queso ( or more so a cheese dip) was served cold. I was very disappointed because we did not see any kolaches (like the Little Czech Stop in West, Texas that are delicious). I think West, Texas is tricking us by saying those are popular in the Czech Republic.

It won't let me add pictures right now for some reason but I will try again soon. (Not that any of you are probably up right now reading blogs anyway since it is so early there. If you want to look at more of my pictures I forgot to tell you that I have a picture site full of them. They are at- http://ashleykate.shutterfly.com/. I willalso be adding pictures of our kids at school soon to the Budapest album.They are such cute kids!! I can't believe we only have 1 more week here. I feel like we have been here forever but at the same time it has gone by so fast. Can't wait to see you all soon!

2 comments:

Emily said...

They have cobblestones in Salzburg too and I was ready to be rid of them after 1 day!

karen b said...

ashley, are you back in fort worth yet? we will be at the TCU baseball game tonight -- we're having andrew's birthday party there and he gets to throw out the first pitch! come see us on the "birthday porch" if you're there!